A game changer in foot and ankle surgery: faster healing, predictable positive outcomes
What is a bunion, and why is it a problem?
A bunion is common term used to describe a condition known as hallux valgus. Hallux valgus is a painful sprain and dislocation of the big toe joint. Hallux valgus is:
- Hereditary (runs in families)
- Progressive (will get worse over time) and
- Degenerative (the joint will wear out if left untreated).
While there are many treatments for the symptoms of hallux valgus, the only treatment that addresses the cause of the problem is an outpatient surgery. Over 150,000 patients receive surgery to correct hallux valgus every year, and commonly face two challenges.
- Successful outcomes depend on selecting the right procedure.
- Newer techniques allow for faster healing, early weight-bearing, and consistently predictable positive outcomes.
The Old Way: Just Not Cutting It
Most foot and ankle surgeons don’t offer minimally invasive or three dimensional surgical options. Unfortunately, some procedures use techniques that haven’t changed in decades, and are associated with less than great outcomes.
- Bunions are a 3D problem, traditional techniques are two dimensional and only address part of the problem.
- Incisions are long, on top of the foot, and leave a visible scar.
- Patients are told they need to be non-weight bearing for weeks or months.
- Older techniques require longer recoveries, with stiffness and scar tissue limiting motion.
Research shows, that with traditional, “2D” bunion surgery:
- Approximately one third of patients are NOT satisfied with appearance, or function
- Bunions can return in between 30 and 80% of cases.
The decision of whether or not to have Bunion surgery, choosing a Doctor to perform it, and choosing the right procedure are hugely consequential decisions!
The Value of Early Intervention; A Reason to Act
Patients are under the misconception that “if it doesn’t hurt I can leave it alone”. Research actually shows that more severe bunions actually hurt LESS, until they become arthritic.
Left untreated, the joint can become arthritic, limiting treatment options. Time is tissue, time is cartilage, and it’s easier to solve a problem earlier rather than later.
Don’t delay; Bunions WILL get worse over time, and treatment options become limited.
Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery:
A Game Changer in Foot and Ankle Surgery
Recent research has developed a new approach for bunion surgery, with several advantages, specifically faster healing and positive, predictable outcomes:
- The approximately one half inch scar is hidden on the side of the foot.
- The entire procedure is performed under fluoroscopy (video x-ray) guidance, resulting in a quicker recovery.
- Patients can walk the day of the surgery in a post operative boot or shoe.
- Most patients return to work several days following the procedure.
- The most recent research shows that 97% of patients who had 3D hallux valgus surgery had excellent outcomes at a just over a year after procedure.
The bottom line: minimally invasive bunion surgery is the best option for most patients suffering from bunion pain, delivers the best outcomes, in the fastest recovery, with a good cosmetic result and protecting patient’s long term joint function and health.
Our Clients, In Their Own Words
Trust the Experience, Experience the Difference
Founded in 1917, San Mateo Podiatry Group is the San Francisco Peninsula’s Premier Foot and Ankle Specialty Practice, delivering a tradition of excellence in foot and ankle care.
Dr. Bill Metaxas and the Doctors of San Mateo Podiatry Group are Board Certified Podiatric Foot and Ankle Surgeons using the latest technology, proven research, and experience to deliver great outcomes.
Our proven process delivers state of the art foot and ankle care to our clients, to help them become their best selves.
Schedule Your Consultation Today!
Learn why more families in the San Francisco Peninsula choose us for their foot and ankle care.
Dr. Bill Metaxas is among a select few Doctors nationwide offering a decade of experience with minimally invasive hallux valgus surgery; coupled with our in-suite 3D CT imaging, patients receive the most comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plans available with modern technology.
In keeping with our promise, the Doctors of San Mateo Podiatry Group are Board Certified Podiatric Foot and Ankle Surgeons using the latest technology, proven research, and experience to deliver great outcomes.
If you’ve been suffering from bunion pain, or have been diagnosed with a bunion and are looking for a better solution, we can help. Call 650-342-2420 to schedule your consultation today.