Finding a surgeon who offers the approach that you want, as well as giving you the personalized, compassionate care you will need, could cause you to look outside your own community.
We have many patients travel both domestically and internationally for foot and ankle surgery with Dr. Metaxas for his surgical skill, experience with simple and complex problems, as well as state-of-the-art techniques. Dr. Metaxas’ experience involves both initial and second opinion consultations for patients considering foot and ankle surgery, or with complicated prior injuries or surgery.
Some patients are traveling from communities without access to a Board-Certified Podiatric Foot and Ankle Surgeon, however, many come from major metropolitan areas attracted by Dr. Metaxas’ unique approach and leading-edge techniques and procedures. Our patients who have traveled have found it to be worth the trip!
San Mateo Podiatry Group’s concierge service is run by our front and clinic team leads; who provide an extremely high level of guidance and support from the moment you schedule your initial consultation until the day you achieve your goals.
- We start by ensuring that any prior medical records and imaging are available and reviewed prior to your initial telephone or in person consultation.
- Our team will help you understand what to expect during your consultation.
- Our clinical lead will coordinate any prescriptions you may need, and schedule your post op visits and physical therapy, if applicable.
The entire experience is managed to ensure your optimal outcome!
The process is simple…
1. Contact Us: Schedule an initial consultation, either via phone or video conference.
2. Send Pictures, Prior Records and Imaging: Once we’ve scheduled your consultation, its important that we review all prior relevant medical records and imaging, as well as clinical photos.
3. Health Insurance Coverage Confirmation: Health insurance information is necessary so that we can provide as accurate an estimate as possible. Our office will perform an insurance verification, and we will need:
- Current Driver’s License or Government Issued ID
- Health Insurance Card
- A Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express)
4. Dr. Metaxas’ Assessment: Once Dr. Metaxas reviews your records and after your consultation, our patient care coordinator will contact you to review the procedure, costs, recovery, follow-up care and local accommodations.
5. Scheduling Your Surgery: Once you have decided to move forward with surgery with Dr. Metaxas, we will reserve your surgery date. Our patient coordinator will ensure that medical clearance and consent forms are completed, as well as coordinating payment options and financing, if applicable. Payment is due at the time of surgery scheduling. Once the surgery schedule is finalized, you will receive a surgery packet with our completed instructions and consent forms.
6. Travel Plans: Our clinic is located less than 10 minutes drive from San Francisco International Airport (SFO), and is approximately 40 minutes north of San Jose International Airport(SJC) and equally west of Oakland International Airport (OAK). Surgeries are performed at accredited surgery centers in San Francisco, the Peninsula, and Silicon Valley.
Patients must arrive one day (domestic) or two days (international) prior to your scheduled surgery date, to ensure that travel logistics do not interfere with the surgery process, and to ensure an optimal outcome.
Suggested Hotels: There are wonderful hotels near San Francisco International, however, the best hotels in the area are:
7. Recovery and Follow Up Care – Depending on the extent of your surgery and distance you are traveling, you may return home 3-14 days post-operatively. Dr. Metaxas has a network of doctors and surgeons that can perform basic follow up care until you are fully healed. Our practice will coordinate with them to ensure continuity of our surgical care.
If you live outside the San Francisco Bay Area, you can book a preliminary phone or video consultation with Dr. Metaxas using the form below.