Over 150,000 patients receive surgery to correct hallux valgus (also known as a bunion deformity) every year; unfortunately, some bunion surgeries use techniques that haven’t changed in over 100 years.
San Mateo Podiatry Group helps patients achieve their goals by delivering state of the art care; learn about the minimally-invasive bunion surgery correction available to our patients.
Traditional "2D" Bunion Surgery – Just Not Cutting It
- Bunions are a 3D problem, traditional techniques are two dimensional and only address part of the problem.
- Incisions are long, on top of the foot, and leave a visible scar.
- Patients are told they need to be non-weight bearing for weeks or months.
- Older techniques require longer recoveries, with stiffness and scar tissue limiting motion.
39% of patients are not satisfied with the function of their foot after traditional 2D bunion surgery.
37% of patients are not satisfied with the aesthetics of their foot after traditional 2d bunion surgery.
32% of patients are not satisfied with the pain in their foot after traditional 2d bunion surgery.
Source: Jeuken RM, et al. Long term follow up of a RCT comparing Scarf to Chevron Osteotomy in Hallux Valgus Correction. Foot Ankle Int. 2016
The Value of Early Intervention
Don't delay; Bunions WILL get worse over time, and treatment options become limited.
Bunions are a subluxation, or a dislocation, of the big toe joint. Left untreated, the joint can become arthritic, and patients with severely arthritic joints are NOT candidates for minimally invasive surgery.
Minimally Invasive, 3D Bunion Surgery
A Game Changer In Foot and Ankle Surgery
Recent research has developed a new approach for bunion surgery, with several advantages:
- The approximately one half inch scar is hidden on the side of the foot.
- The entire procedure is performed under fluoroscopy (video x-ray) guidance, resulting in a quicker recovery.
- Patients can walk the day of the surgery in a post operative boot or shoe.
- Most patients return to work several days following the procedure.
Experience The Difference
Dr. Bill Metaxas and the Doctors of San Mateo Podiatry Group are Board Certified Podiatric Foot and Ankle Surgeons use the latest technology, proven research, and experience to deliver great outcomes.
Since 1917, San Mateo Podiatry Group has delivered a tradition of excellence in foot and ankle care. More families choose us for their foot and ankle care than any other practice in the San Francisco Peninsula.
Podiatric Foot and Ankle Surgeons have more education and training specific to foot and ankle, and are the leading experts in foot and ankle care today.Play Video