What Is Fall Prevention?
Fall prevention is a part of At Risk Foot Care dedicated to the prevention of life changing complications associated with falls and fractures in all patients, but especially those over the age of 65.
The fall prevention program here at San Mateo Podiatry Group is dedicated to preventing falls; keeping patients active.
Why is Fall Prevention important?
- Falls are the leading cause of injury leading to death among older adults.
- 30% of patients age 65 and older fall at least once annually.
- 2.8 Million fall related injuries are treated annually in Emergency Rooms.
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the ER for a fall.
- Every 19 minutes, and older adult dies from a fall.
- Fall related hip fractures account for 25-35% of injuries leading to death among those over the age of 65.
- Fall related injuries occur more commonly than strokes and are the most preventable cause of nursing home placement.
- Fall injuries are among the most expensive medical conditions, resulting in hospital costs averaging $35,000.
- The total cost of fall injuries is approximately $35 Billion, expected to increase to $67 Billion by 2020.
Common conditions that increase fall risk
- High Blood Pressure
- Certain types of Medications
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Drop Foot
- Muscle Weakness
- Foot deformity
- Ankle instability and Postural Control
- Vestibular disease (Dizziness)
- History of fall or near fall
How We’re Different
The doctors and team of San Mateo Podiatry Group work hard to ensure that we keep our patients active, healthy and walking. We are proud to have some of the best outcomes in preventing falls and associated complications.
- Same day consultations are generally available
- Most procedures can be completed in the office with little to no discomfort.
- Generally, patients can return to work and recreational sports and exercise immediately
Our Clients, In Their Own Words
Experience The Difference
The Doctors of San Mateo Podiatry Group are Board Certified Podiatric Foot and Ankle Surgeons use the latest technology, proven research, and experience to deliver great results for patients. Since 1917, San Mateo Podiatry Group has delivered a tradition of excellence in foot and ankle care; more families choose us for their foot and ankle care than any other practice in the San Francisco Peninsula.